Weekend to Remember Marriage Getaways
January 1, 2019 - December 31, 2020
Testimonies from couples who recently attended a Military Emphasis “Star Event” Weekend to Remember:
“In the months before coming to the marriage getaway I asked for a divorce. I thought my marriage had no hope. After this weekend I’ve become completely committed to my marriage, and I feel like I now have the tools to make it work.” —Military couple, married 4 years
“This is our 3rd Weekend to Remember Getaway . . . Having Cru Military here has made me feel comfortable in knowing that there are people who deeply care about marriages of our military families. The devotionals (received at past Getaways) are a resource we still use every day and love the conversations it has led us into. Conversations we wouldn’t have known to have otherwise.” —Army officer (17 years)
“Revolutionized my marriage! Profound impact by Cru Military! Loved the military emphasis!” —Army warrant officer (20 years)
“We have been reminded of the goal for marriage . . . for God’s goal/purpose. This journey is not always easy and with the added ‘bumps’ of a specialized military lifestyle, it’s often more rocky than smooth but the end result is so worth it! Thank you for putting families first and for the military family ministry.” —Military wife, 7 years
Those of us who are believers in the value of the FamilyLife Weekend to Remember getaways can point to very definite reasons why every military couple should participate in this enriching opportunity:
- Before Deployment: The Weekend to Remember provides a couple much-needed time away, without distractions, to focus on their marriage.
- During Deployment: They have the opportunity to learn tools of communication which they will then apply during deployment so that they will “stay connected” even though miles apart.
- After Deployment: Going to a Weekend to Remember upon return from a deployment provides the opportunity for a couple to encourage one another with “what we did right” and identify “what we could do better.” The latter is important because another deployment is often a part of the military life.
Tips for Planning Your Weekend Getaway
- Plan early!
- Call the hotel and ask them if they have offer a military discount. If the cost of the conference hotel is too much check around the area for another hotel which might not be as expensive (and don’t forget to ask for a military discount).
- Ask a family member to come and take care of the kids (Grandma loves this). Alternately, ask a friend. Maybe you can keep their kids next time!
- Try to arrive at the conference early enough to get checked-in at the hotel and relax for a bit before 7:00 on Friday night. The idea is to get out of your work mind-set and begin the transformation to a romantic weekend.
- Read through our recommendations for a getaway.
- Remember that people who attend retreats do not leave with enriched marriages, but people who attend retreats and make decisions to change leave with enriched marriages. It’s up to you!
- Some people like to attend a retreat with friends and close to home. Others like to have time to themselves at a retreat further away. Either way is great!